11 November 2009

Scams...and why they work

My daughter Caity loves pigs, all things pigs. She has slept with her "Mr. Pig" stuffed animal since she was little. She collects pigs. Her screen saver is...pigs. I'm not sure why since we don't live on a farm and are not big animal people but she adores them.

She has always wanted one as a pet which would never happen in this house so I always assumed when I visit her as an adult I would have to be nice to a large pot bellied pig if I wanted through the door but I guess pig people have found a way to try to make this happen sooner.

Caity found out they now make designer micro pigs. They are called tea cup pigs and are now the rage (along with a rage price tag) and she has made it her mission to have one.

This brings me to the scam. A man from the "UK" emailed her and said he would send her one for "free" if she just paid him...shipping. OMG she was so excited thinking she had hit the perverbial jackpot! The emails were flying back and forth as I tried to explain to her that there was no pig and this man just wants her money. She said "but mom he even sent me pics". I am positive if not for her father and I a man in the UK would be six hundred dollars richer.

Scams work because people want to believe and I know of one 16yr. old who still believes and just thinks her mom is a wet blanket. I just hope while I am writing this that Caity isn't out getting a money order.

Oh and if you will just send me 600 dollars I will tell you how to stop a scam from happening to your daughter :)
Nyn

No comments:

Post a Comment