11 September 2009

My September 11 pledge... to write notes

In May 2001 Mk and I celebrated our anniversary in NYC. Mk was surprising me and taking me to brunch at the top of the World Trade Center. I was dining at Windows On The World. I remember stepping off the elevator thinking how incredible the view was and that was just the beginning.

My family knew Mk was taking me there so my mom had called ahead and ordered a special bottle of Champagne for us (I know she's a treat, right?). The team at WOTW then had taken it upon themselves to give us a special table at one of the single windows by ourselves. I remember that the building swayed as we sat there and they explained it was built that way to withstand the weather.

The brunch buffet was beyond delightful and they gave me the cork to our bottle to remember them by. Of all the places I have eaten and God knows I love to eat and search out great Mango Margaritas :) I can remember their faces and how special it was to be there. Not just because of the building but the incredible people and their kindness by making it so special for me.

I meant to write a note to them and let them know what a special group of people they were. But I didn't. I told everyone about them but I never personally let them know that they made my day. The towers fell and I am sure it was those people who perished that morning a few months later since that would have been their shift.

So on this day my pledge is from now on to let people know with a note that they have touched my heart and given me a day to remember.I just wish I would have done it sooner.
Nyn

No comments:

Post a Comment