19 January 2010

Are we Complacent as a Nation? History says No

Look up complaceny in the dictionary and you will find.
1. A feeling of quiet security while unaware that danger is lurking.
2. Smug Security.
This Nation was built on change and growing and finding the unknown from the start. So it seems now with all the jobs being lost that people feel like it was a given that they would always be, well, complacent.
As an example we need look no further than the steel industry. Workers all accross this country lost what they felt would substain them for a lifetime and yet the likes of Pittsburgh and other great places pulled themselves together and created new ways of making money because thats what our minds were built for. Change and growth.
So when I watch the news today I see Haiti at their lowest, brought to their knees by nature. I also saw a woman who owned 3 car dealerships that Chrysler has closed causing hundreds of people to lose jobs. This is a terrible time for many of us but I think all we have to do is look at history to know that we will learn and rebuild and help each other in times of crisis.
There are stories of Paula Deen who changed her life in her mid forties. There are people who have lost everything only to invent something that has made them rich. Even stories of the ones who end up helping people after suffering a loss of their own. I think we all need to be reminded of these stories that uplift and remind us that there are many things left to accomplish.
I have had alot of money and I have had no money. I have had good health and now I cannot work but the one thing I have always had is hope that I never become so complacent that I stop trying.
Nyn

No comments:

Post a Comment