23 August 2009

Burying bodies in the backyard

At a recent family party I was looking at everyone there and how there are roles we assume in life, how we got them, and why we keep them. I watched friends and extended family that also were there, seeing the big cosmic joke that we are even on the same planet let alone one backyard.

I have two brothers and although we have decided we would bury bodies for each other if needed (no bodies yet... whew) I noticed it's the same digs at each other being thrown, the ones that are funny with those underlying...tones. We don't fight, ever. It's one of those unwritten rules out of respect for my mom. That and the fact that if we ever did, well... our roles would be shattered.

I notice that the strong ones, are not strong, the weak are...not, the ones that assume the money roles should hand those badges over asap and the bitchiest ones have the best hearts. Then I wondered if all backyard gatherings play the same game.

I have cried over my role, I have wanted to set everyone straight and call them out more than once. Then I realized the reason I don't isn't because I am afraid, or because I don't have a backbone. The biggest reason is that I have seen the aftermath when loved ones decide to stop the label they have been given and how the dynamics of the backyard changes...right then. Forever

So, Before I turn that yard into an episode of "The Real Housewives" Of Atlanta...


I will remember all the times we laughed so hard at something no one else would find funny, or when I have been at the bottom of my soul needing help and those faces were there to pick me up. I hope when all of them look back, my(cute)face is included in their mental images. I raise my glass to all of them, every face around me has impacted my life. They have made me stronger and wiser, and brought infinite amounts of joy to my life, laced with enough ammo to give a shrink a bestseller.

So as I was getting ready to leave and my brother got his final shot in to get my blood pressure up I looked around and just thought...Touche, nicely played. I left there with my role in life still intact knowing as pissed as I was thats the backyard where I belong and if that means burying a body for one of them tonight...I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment