05 August 2009

What Our Daughters Become

Cait turned 16 last month, is learning to drive, and has now started her first job. As I sit reflecting on how she got here, and trying to figure out what she will be, I realize it's anyone's guess.

Her at 5, in the pouring rain, waiting for the bus, holding her unopened umbrella to her side, as she informed me...it was ugly. So your first thought is she is determined and tough. This is the same girl that Christmas eve, I found crying in her room. When I asked what could possibly be wrong, she replied " I just hope everyone has a nice Christmas." hmmmm, quite the sensitive one.

For the last year or so, she has been hell bent on how she is going to join the Peace Core. She is taking International Studies in school this year, and her favorite book is about Rowanda. Maybe I am not giving enough credit here, but I am wondering how the girl that has a fridge in her room, and sleeps holding a stuffed pig, is going to irrigate Africa.

Watching her, as I picked her up from her first day of work, when she came out she walked different. More confident, more grown up. So then I was feeling like maybe she could conquer the world and I was being to hard on my little Cait. Just when I imagined Africa was close to getting the angel that could make a huge impact, she came downstairs before bed to get ice for her wrist. Thats right, she said something terrible had happened to her arm from opening boxes (her shift at Osh Kosh was 4 hours) Oh, and then I remembered she called me on her way out of the building because the hallway she was coming down was dark, and needed my voice on the phone.

So if it's between saving the world, or spending her life ordering off of Amazon while holding her pig. I am going with 50/50. The apple doesn't fall far.

No comments:

Post a Comment