04 August 2009

How Hard Can Cooking Be?

I know people joke about not being able to cook, but this is serious.
I have blue ribbons from when I was much younger, and made it to Nationals with some chocolate thing. It ended there. Something happened. I must have had fast food for so long, being single, that I forgot how. It's not like riding a bike and it all comes back to you.

Mk says the first time he looked in my fridge, it was a party of fast food bags, and some spoiled milk. Thank God for that winning personality of mine that won him over! So the thing is, MK cooks. He loves to cook, which is more than a plus for me, but I still try my hand sometimes, sadly enough.

I am a one pot cooker. I get very stressed when more than one burner is going. The first time I cooked for him, I put all of the meal in one skillet, and then the 50/50 factor took over. The glass lid exploded all over the kitchen. Over the years, I have had pots of oil boil over trying to deep fry. I have had the oven lock up on me, while trying to broil steaks, and not let me in for an hour. I have thrown away griddles that couldn't be cleaned after attempting bacon appetizers. I refuse to give up even after the deep fried Twinkie fiasco. I'll leave that one to your imagination.

So in my latest quest for culinary recognition, I have decided to try cakes, not just any cakes, because go big or go home right? The thing is, I joined an online group for International designer cake bakers, so I get emails from them. I feel like a winner reading their emails, but... I haven't tried it yet. I will let you know when the first one is attempted. Or you will hear about it on the news. Either way, I think I am ready for fondant, and I'm feeling the blue ribbon coming my way.
I like to think I can make the cake thing work. Infact, in my mind, it's perfect. But just incase the 50/50 factor rears it's ugly head, I am also looking into joining the International Bobsledding team group online... Just incase I need a backup. How bad could I be at Bobsledding, right?

1 comment: